EOTO presentations

I was intrigued to learn about the creation of emojis and emoticons because I love emojis and while I used emoticons a lot as a child, emojis are my bread and butter. I use them instead of typing whole sentences and somehow me and my sister are still able to communicate and understand each other. It was surprising to learn that in 1982 a professor was the one who created emoticons but it makes sense when you learn the reasoning. He was sarcastic and would send his students emails with his sarcastic humor in it and his students weren’t able to understand him. So he started using emoticons as a way to communicate to his students that what he was saying was a joke. What I didn’t expect however was that emojis were invented/designed in Japan but then again if you really think about it does make sense given that mascot culture and cuteness is very big over there so it was a smart move to have Japanese designer Shigetaka Kurita be the creator of the first emoji.



Apple/Google being the ones to hire Japanese designers to make emojis and then spread them over the world is cool as I wasn’t aware of that fact; I just thought that different companies made their own emojis then sent them out to users. Recently Apple has been wanting to take emojis further and has debuted a beta AI tool that lets users create their own emojis and it has been met with a lot of mixed results. On one hand it does give the user the ability to create an emoji that apple hasn’t thought of but for but on the other they are a little wonky and most of the emojis made don’t make sense and are a fusion of already existing ones; so while rare some people were able to make a completely original emojis. I think emojis are very useful and are a good communication tool because

you can't always tell what a persons tone or thought is through a text so I'm truly glad that people are able to express themselves better through using them.

Comments

Popular Posts